Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Step Brothers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I want to like this, but seeing as it's from the Talladega Nights guys, I'm not too encouraged. It's written by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, the guys behind FunnyOrDie.com who also wrote Anchorman (one of my FAVORITES), so it's a total coin toss. The concept could work, but I fear it's gonna walk a fine line between funny and ridiculous!

As I suspected, it DID walk a fine line between funny and ridiculous, and I'm not quite sure which won out. To be quite honest, I expected to HATE this movie!

***SPOILERS - If that's possible with a movie like this***
To split my mixed feelings, on one hand, guys who are 40 years old acting THAT childish is WAY far fetched! They don't necessarily act "slow", but they seem entire incapable of doing ANYTHING on their own, yet by the time the film wraps up, they've just kind of gotten over the extreme childish tendencies. On the other hand, it really was a GREAT cast, with some super funny lines that had me laughing out loud to myself. I love Kathryn Hahn! She often plays a super inappropriate character, that is just awkward enough to work well. She's always a supporting cast member who always end up being a scene stealer! Will Ferrell can be a bit whiny for my taste and pushed that a bit much in this, but he still brought the funny. I know SO many people that hated this movie, so maybe I had low enough expectations to find it humorous, but I laughed nonetheless.

It really IS a dumb film though, and most won't find it funny. I laughed, but that doesn't make it good. Despite all that, I think I'd still have to give the movie a thumbs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment