Saturday, September 12, 2009

The September Issue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
So I'm heading out to see The September Issue in a bit at the Landmark on Pico (which is probably my favorite theater as far as comfort goes). I LOVE Project Runway, LOVE The Devil Wears Prada (the movie AND the band - woot!), and (though you wouldn't know it by my attire) I'm totally intrigued by fashion. I revolves around Anna Wintour, the Editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine, and is another of those sub-cultures that leave people sticking out like a sore thumb if you're not up to speed on all the latest trends and headlines. This movie will definitely fulfill my documentary craving. Bring on the avant garde and ridiculously tall heels!


I went into this knowing that Anna Wintour is the one that Meryl Streep's character in The Devil Wears Prada is based on. I really love learning about different subcultures, and fashion is no different.

***SPOILERS-KINDA***
I'm not sure that you can really have "spoilers" in a documentary like this, but just in case... OK, so I really expected to hate Wintour, but I'm sure that she wouldn't have approved of the documentary if it had portrayed her poorly. She has such a heavy-hand in Vogue that I'm sure she'd make sure to have final say in this documentary. It was interesting to see what she wore to the office in comparison to everyone else. She was often in patterned dresses with her large glasses and a scarf, with her makeup all done up. Others in the office that were the older, higher-ups, were in solid dark colors, and overly acid-peeled faces. They look like people that would have absolutely NO business in the fashion world, yet most have been in it for years, and many even used to be model when they were young. Who knew?

The best part of this documentary was Grace Coddinton, who has also been with Vogue for 20-ish years. Apparently she didn't necessarily want to be a part of the documentary.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment