Monday, September 7, 2009

Mister Foe

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I like the quirky indies, but often don't like the quirky indies. What a hypocrite I am, right??? I usually love how they're made and shot, and often have outstanding acting and soundtracks, but I don't always connect with the stories. That doesn't make it a bad film, but just not necessarily one that I'd rush out to recommend. The trailer for Mister Foe doesn't give much away, and I appreciate that. I think I'm really going to like the randomness of Hallam Foe's (Jamie Bell) character.


Yay! It's about time that there's a quirky indie film that I can stand by! Now  this may not be the best film ever, but compared to some of the movies I've sat through lately, this was very refreshing. Thumbs up to Jamie Bell and Sophia Myles. I STILL haven't seen Billy Elliott (starring Jamie Bell) - FAIL, I know, but I saw him in Defiance and was very impressed. (Sidenote: Defiance got mixed reviews, but it really was one of my favorites last year - opened Dec.31.) The only other thing I've seen Sophia Myles in was Art School Confidential (which I was ok with, but would have appreciated more if I were an eccentric art school kid). I thought she was strong in the role of Hallum's quasi love interest.

***SPOILERS START HERE***
17 turning 18 years old, Hallum Foe (Jamie Bell) is trying to get to the bottom of his mother's death, and suspects his father's new wife (Claire Forlani). In going to confront her, he ends up sleeping with her before fleeing his home at his father's to try to live on his own. Hallum is a bit of an introverted, socially awkward, peeping tom that kind of lives vicariously through others. He becomes infatuated with Kate (Myles) who (resembles his mother, and) is currently having an affair with a married man. Hallum and Kate have an odd and somewhat childish attraction to each other, but I think Hallum grows up a lot and is able to work through the events that led to his mother's death. I liked the way it was shot, and liked the soundtrack.

I wouldn't necessarily say "rush out to rent this now", but it was a twisted and enjoyable story that I would say "thumbs up" to.

No comments:

Post a Comment