Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
So many people have been telling me that this is such a cute, feel-good movie, and that I'd appreciate it because I'm a "music person". I like Kat Dennings as an actress, and find the awkwardness of Michael Cera endearing, but this seems almost too chick-flicky for my taste. I actually DID plan to see this in  the theater, but wasn't all too bummed to have missed it when it came and went. The soundtrack is good; not stellar. I'm really hoping that this doesn't go the way of Juno. I really DID like Juno, but thought that the dialogue tried a little too hard to be hipstery. THAT soundtrack outshines this one, in my opinion, but if this deals closely with music like it seems to, it could be a winner for me afterall. Also, it's produced by the Weitz brothers, and I STILL haven't seen About A Boy OR the Golden Compass, but loved the tongue-in-cheek satire of American Dreamz, and mm REALLY looking forward to Cirque Du Freak!


OK... I REALLY wanted to like this movie given the music content, but I felt like it was just a bit all over the place. I wasn't opposed to Dennings or Cera - I felt that they played their parts well, but I thought the plot was actually ridiculous!

***SPOILERS START HERE***
OK, first off, the awkward, dorky kid that is Michael Cera, wouldn't have the "hot, popular" Triss as a girlfriend, NOR would she go out of her way to win him back. Also, Norah (Dennings) takes Nick (Cera) to her dad's famous recording studio to have super awkward sex? Unlikely! The plot revolves around a bunch of quasi-indie-hipsters trying to find a secret show that a band called "Who's Fluffy" is playing. It get's to be close to 5am or something by the time the band finally plays, and by that time, Nick and Norah are SO into each other that they end up ditching the show to go hang out... Um... from someone who's SUPER into music, if MY favorite band, who RARELY plays shows, was playing a show, AND a dude that I just met felt the SAME WAY about said band, there's NO WAY we'd ditch that thing after a night of BS shenanigans: trying to locate drunk friend, fix crashed car, deal with stalkerish ex... I know this thing was based on a book (which I didn't read), and books tend to be way better, but I just wasn't on board at all. It was just too pretentious for me. Cera had some great one-liners, but that also seems to be all he's good for most of the time. Dennings can do better.

Overall, I'd go thumbs down. It's not a bad film, but I just didn't care for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment