Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Damned United

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So I adore Michael Sheen. He's been wonderful in EVERYTHING I've seen him in, and I doubt he'll disappoint this time around either. He has a knack for portraying actual people, and I admire him greatly for that, especially because the people he portrays are still living. That seems to be a rather daunting challenge, but Sheen always handles it like a champ. I also love soccer and though I know less about details and backstory of British football than I do of most American sports, but I LOVE watching it and can't wait til I can afford a trip to England to see a game!

This film is about Brian Clough, a famous British football coach. Apparently it's written by the same screenwriter as The Queen and  Frost/Nixon (Peter Morgan), both of which also starred Michael Sheen. Morgan does an excellent job at writing about actual people and events and also wrote the screenplay for The Last King of Scotland (which I LOVED), and also for The Other Boleyn Girl. I'm guessing that this would be of similar sentiment to a film about an American coach of either a Football or Basketball team. Every now and then these types of films and be REALLY British, and while they don't lose me completely, I CAN miss some of the nuances and background behind different aspects or elements of the story and characters. I have high hopes for this film!


No comments:

Post a Comment