Thursday, August 27, 2009

Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollock?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
BEST line in forever: "Everyone knows that a fairytale starts out, 'once upon a time'. Well a truck driver's fairytale starts out, 'you ain't gonna believe THIS shit!'" - Teri Horton, one classy old broad.


I wasn't sure what to watch today, and my free time is limited since I work BOTH my jobs on Thursday and Fridays, so I picked a short one that's been towards the top of my documentary list for a while now. I like art, but I'm really tough to please - not because I know a lot about it (though I'm pretty familiar with the work of the "big names", I just know not a lot about the artist or the history of the work), but because a lot of "famous paintings" don't look all that skilled to me. I don't really understand the appeal of Jackson Pollock's work, so I figured this would be interesting. (Next art doc? My Kid Could Paint That.)

Since it looks like the trailer doesn't want to load, go here:


In brief, this documentary shows the 10+ year journey that truck driver Teri Horton went on to prove whether or not a painting that she bought for $5 at a thrift store was a Jackson Pollock original.I found this VERY fascinating! It was interesting to see how "proof" meant different things to the art world vs. the forensics world. It really reiterated the existence of sub-cultures in society.

Working in radio, and having numerous musician friends, I understand the inner-workings of touring bands; business deals, venues taking cuts, pre-selling tickets, opening in larger venues for nationally touring bands as opposed to local touring bands, etc. I have also seen a bit of the film side from being a Broadcasting major in college and having film student friend; shooting permits (or not), working for "copy, credit, food" instead of pay, roles of crew, etc. I also have a friend that rides motocross. That is it's OWN world, and one that I have no understanding of! All little subcultures are so incestuous! The art world is much the same. One person speaking up for the authenticity of a piece can automatically negate the doubt of any industry naysayer! If I were to walk into an art gallery and try to talk to people who are well versed in the world of art, I would stick out like a SORE THUMB! Much in the same way, if you had a person that listens to 102.7 KIIS FM (Top 40) walk into a hardcore/metal show, even if they dressed the part, there would be no way that they would be able to blend in once conversation started with said poser and a kid who's part of that (sub)culture.



***SPOILERS START HERE***

First off, this TOTALLY feed into my pre-conceived stereotype that the art crowd are all stubborn, snooty elitists. Their "proof" is someone who has a big hand or share in the art world to agree that the painting is authentic. I was SHOCKED to see a forensics analyst step into the picture, match a couple fingerprints (one from the back of Teri's "Pollock", and one from a paint can in Pollock's studio) and STILL, that wasn't enough for the art snobs! It'd be good enough to put someone away for life in a MURDER TRIAL, but not good enough to proved that some alcoholic painted some HUGE piece of whatever the surface was?!?! C'mon bro!!!

At one point Teri was offered $2 million, no questions asked, and she turned down the offer. She felt like it was a legit painting, and on principle, wouldn't sell it for less that she thought it was worth. Al the beginning of the documentary she had no idea who Jackson Pollock was, so I saw it strictly as her stubbornness (though not greed) that was preventing her from taking the offer. It's kind of like Deal Or no Deal - you hold out for a higher sum PRAYING that you've got the golden ticket (that may or may not be there).To be quite honest though, I probably would have passed on the $2 million too, while crossing all my fingers and all my toes! I WOULDN'T, however, be too stubborn to take the $9 MILLION that she was said to have been offered at the end of the film! Apparently there was an ADDITIONAL matching fingerprint found ON a proven Jackson Pollock painting! Teri did not. She still felt like it was worth more. *sigh* Stubborn old woman!

Overall, I give this a very enthusiastic thumbs up (minus the TERRIBLE song that some dude sings in a bar about Teri and her painting at the end of the film. THAT is 3 minutes of my life that I will NEVER get back)!

No comments:

Post a Comment