Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Birdcage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is one of those movies that I've been meaning to to see for... well... um... since 1996. Robyn Williams and Nathan Lane are always great in comedies, and this movie came out during a time when both of those actors were still making good movies. This was also just before Gene Hackman started showing up in every other movie that came out in Hollywood. "Came out" seems to be a good phase to begin the viewing with. (I don't know why the trailer's stretched out all funy, but it's the only one I could find)



Senator Kevin Keeley (Gene Hackman) - "Louise, people in this country aren't interested in details. They don't even TRUST details. The only thing they trust is headlines."

How true are those words in THIS society?! First off, can I just mention how thin Nathan Lane was!? Anyway, the Birdcage is based on French Jean Poiret's stage play "La Cage Aux Folles", and he had a hand in the screenplay as well. In looking at director Mike Nichols' filmography, I haven't seen anything of his besides The Birdcage, so I had no other work to compare it to. It was a very well written script! I don't know why I didn't expect much out of it, but I was pleasantly surprised - Great cast, witty script, awkward humor, fantastic!

This movie felt like the original Meet the Parents. I mean, I'm sure there were prior movies with awkward "engaged couple's families meet each other" plotlines, but this is the first one that I recall, and the character having gay parents put an additional non-conformist spin on it that, looking back, would have probably been more controversial then, than now. I'm not quite sure what else to say, seeing as I have no complaints, other than the fact that Hank Azaria is brilliant, as always!

The fial verdict? Thumbs up fir sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment